Sacral chakra (also known as Swadhishthana or Svadhishthana) is the second chakra, which is said to be the part of the emotional body and is located roughly two inches below the belly button, near the reproductive region of the body. There are many reasons you need to balance your sacral chakra, and we’ll discuss every one of them in this article.
While the root chakra has the element earth and is solid, the sacral chakra has the water element. It is liquid and formless. Water is usually associated with movement, change, fluidity, and adaptability. Some of these characteristics are observed in our emotions as they arise and move in our consciousness.
Sacral chakra healing is associated with wellness, sensuality, pleasure, abundance, joy, and emotions. A well-balanced sacral chakra ignites the passion to fulfill your creative pursuits.
While the root chakra is about survival, the sacral chakra is associated with passion and pleasure.
A person with a well-balanced sacral chakra can well regulate their emotions. Keeping mindful, they don’t easily get carried away under an emotional rush, and neither does it affect their decision-making.
The sacral chakra is connected to the subconscious mind, which is the reservoir of infinite potential. Our subconscious mind is the deep seat of our thoughts and emotions. It is the center of abundance, creativity, wisdom, and higher knowledge.
The sacral energy center is symbolically represented by six petals of orange color and has both divine masculine and feminine energy. The lotus flower image present on this chakra symbolically represents the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth.
Sacral Chakra Blockage
Your sacral chakra can either be underactive (with low energy flow) or overactive (with high energy flow). Both of these cases have negative implications. An optimum flow of energy is required for a well-functioning sacral chakra.
Some of the symptoms of blocked sacral chakra are as follows:
- Lack of creativity – If you struggle to bring out your creative side, a good reason can be that your sacral chakra is underactive. Creativity is required at all levels. It’s a misconception that only artists or celebrities require creativity. We all require creativity in our day to day living. Even the most mundane tasks can be made interesting through creative thinking.
- Dependency (co-dependency) on other people – You seek dependency on other people for your emotional well-being. You have low self-esteem and low self-worth.
- Lack of confidence – You lack confidence in things you do. You have fear and doubts at each step, which holds you back from achieving your goals.
- You live in a fantasy world – You fantasize about success and pleasures because you subconsciously believe that you can’t fulfill your desires in reality. If you often find yourself fantasizing about sexual pleasures, achieving financial independence, and having healthy relationships, it’s an indication of blockage (underactive) in the sacral chakra.
- Your emotions control you – You find your thoughts and emotions very overpowering. You lose control of yourself, and it affects your relationship with others. Excessive emotional attachment (clinging) to other people indicates an overactive sacral chakra.
- Lack of sexual desire and fear of pleasure – Having a lack of sexual desire, performance anxiety, inability to achieve orgasm, and feeling unworthy of pleasures indicate an underactive sacral chakra.
- Insecurity and detachment – Underactive sacral chakra creates feelings of insecurity. Your inability to freely express yourself causes you to feel detached and isolated.
- Anxiety and aggression – Your suppressed emotions create anger and anxiety. Aggression is the way you compensate for those hidden afflicting feelings. An overactive sacral chakra is indicative of anxiety and aggression.
- Addictive Behavior – you indulge in addictive behavior like playing video games for long hours, excessive smoking, drinking, unhealthy eating, drugs, compulsive shopping, and more.
Some of the physical health symptoms which indicate blocked sacral chakra are as follows:
- Lower back pain
- Women experiencing issues during menstrual cycles and other gynecological issues
- Infection in kidneys
- Impotence and infertility
- Prostate and testicular issues in men
These issues can create mental havoc in life and impede growth. Therefore, it’s important to balance the sacral chakra, as it helps in curing all of the ailments mentioned above.
How To Balance the Sacral Chakra?
Now that it’s clear what role sacral chakra plays in our mental and physical well-being, the following are some of the well-known ways to balance it.
Adopting Healthy Lifestyle
Your day-to-day lifestyle plays a major role in balancing the sacral chakra and ensuring overall well-being.
- Work out and keep your body in good shape.
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day by drinking water, fresh fruit juices, and other liquids.
- Avoid unhealthy junk and sugary foods. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Get proper sleep at night.
- Monitor your screen time every day.
- Taking out time to pursue creative activities.
- Practicing yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises.
Some yoga asanas (especially those that help in opening up the hips) that help are as follows:
- Butterfly Pose (Baddha Konasana)
- Frog Pose (Bhekasana)
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Open Angle Pose (Upavistha Konasana)
- Bound Angle Pose (BaddhaKonasana)
- Childs Pose (Balasana)
- Cow Face Pose (Gomukhasana)
- Easy Pose (Sukhasana)
Practicing yoga is highly effective in opening and healing the energy body, ensuring overall wellness. Yoga International is offering online courses with a 7-day-free-trail. It has over 500 expert teachers in yoga therapy, anatomy, meditation, and more. Learn at your own pace and from the comfort of your home.
Affiliate Disclosure: If you click the link above and decide to purchase the course, I get paid a small fee that helps me create valuable content for you, and it doesn’t cost you any extra amount.
Meditation for Sacral Chakra
Opening up the sacral chakra through meditation involves a visualization technique. It requires you to sit in a comfortable meditation posture, preferably in a cross-legged position (or on a chair, if you have low flexibility in your hips area).
After that, close your eyes, imagine an orange-shaped lotus, and simply breathe into it.
Imagine your breath entering the nostrils, passing through the lungs into your diaphragm, reaching the abdominal area, and finally hitting the location of the sacral chakra (around 2 to 3 inches below the belly button).
As you breathe in and out, imagine this glow of an orange-colored lotus. Imagine it growing in size and spreading energy ripples throughout your whole body, just like when you throw a pebble into stagnant water and the resulting water ripples spread throughout the entire pond.
After completing this exercise, gently open your eyes, get up slowly, and get on with your usual work.
Some of the affirmations are as follows:
- I’m a strong, attractive, and confident person.
- I deserve love and happiness.
- I deserve all kinds of pleasures in the world.
- I’m confident about my sexuality and my sexual preference.
- I’m a creative human being.
- I’m comfortable and confident about my body and my looks.
- I’m not going to hide my true feelings and emotions with people I’m close to.
Practicing sacral chakra affirmations can go a long way in balancing your sacral chakra, and you can practice them anytime.
Foods that Helps in Opening Sacral Chakra
Eating a healthy diet is an essential component when it comes to balancing your sacral chakra. Some of the foods that help in balancing the sacral chakra are as follows:
- Nuts like Almonds and Walnuts
- Seeds like Pumpkin, Sunflower and Flax
Sacral Chakra Balancing Stones and Crystals
It is believed that some of the stones and crystals have the power to absorb negative ions from the sacral chakra. Some of these are mentioned below:
- Orange aventurine
- Snowflake obsidian
- Tigers Eye
Connect with Water Element
Water forms the core element of the sacral chakra. It is associated with fluidity and flexibility. Water takes the shape of the container you put it in, signifying adaptability.
Spending some time near water bodies like lakes, ponds, rivers, beaches, etc., can help us understand the flow of life. The water in the river flows despite obstructions. It changes its course depending on the obstacle, but never stops and waits for things to change.
To be honest, there’s no sure-shot method to guarantee sacral chakra activation. The divine energy has its own will. In some people, it happens through living a balanced life, in some through meditation, and in some others, it happens on its own, for no apparent reason.
However, we should not assume anything and work on living as much balanced life as possible to cultivate peace of mind and harmony with existence. Trying to force the energy to bend to an individual is counterproductive and even traumatic in some cases.
Disclaimer: I’m not a Kundalini Yoga teacher or energy healer. The chakra balancing methods mentioned above are only for informational purposes.
The Complete Seven-Chakra Bundle (Instant Download)
If you’re interested in knowing more about chakra healing, check out a complete chakra resource that includes chakra worksheets, chakra printable card sets, 99-page awakening the seven chakras e-book (PDF), and chakra affirmations posters.